Crime Records

Friday, April 18, 2014

Lacuna Coil Broken Crown Halo

So this is my first review writing for the amazing blog \m/etalbox. I would like to thank you guys for giving me the opportunity to write this review and to have it posted on your site. With that being said I have chosen my first review to be on Lacuna Coil-Broken Crown Halo. I have been a fan of this type of metal for quite some time now, anything from Tristania to Lacuna Coil. I figured this would be a good fit for me.

My first impressions of Broken Crown Halo is that it is not really what I was expecting, it does feature Cristina's amazing vocals (which is what drew me to Lacuna Coil in the first place), however, the symphonics and guitars are pretty weak, repetitive, and predictable, same goes with the male vocals. Even though Cristinas vocals are there, they are also weak compared to past albums, and the lyrics just are not there. Take the song dead and rise for example, its as if a good part of the song is the male and female vocals screaming dead and rise over and over to a small beat in the background with minimal keyboards and guitars.

Half way through the album I had not replayed one song, I sat scratching my head as songs come and go, wondering if there will be at least one song that will catch my ear, so I can really grasp what the album is all about. As what seems to be the same guitar, vocals, and symphonics play through my speakers at volume 60, I realize that it isn't going to happen. As disappointing as it was I decided to listen to the entire album.

Finally, when the album was finished ,I could not believe what I had just heard. Aside from “One cold day” (which really wasn't all that good) the rest of the album was like one big mush of a song. All of the songs had the same repetitive beat, with male, then female, then male, then female vocals with weak guitars that reminded me of Sevendust (not that that is a bad thing) but it just didn't work. I for one am very disappointed and sit here hoping that their next album is more creative. Before passing judgment on me, keep in mind I'm used to old Tristania and older lacuna coil sounds for this type of music, and I did give it a chance by listening to the entire album. I suppose this album could work for some people but not this writer. For fans wanting the older style of lacuna coil with Cristina's soaring vocals and bad ass guitar riffs....this album is not for you. However, if you prefer lacuna coil in their newer style then by all means buy this album, though its going to take some work from them in their next album for this writer to be won over like I was in the past.



Final Rating: 5 out of 10





Track List:

  1. Nothing Stands in Our Way
  2. Zombies
  3. Hostage to the Light
  4. Victims
  5. Die and Rise
  6. I Forgive(But I Wont Forget Your Name)
  7. Cybersleep
  8. Infection
  9. I Burn in You
  10. In the End I Feel Alive
  11. One Cold Day

No comments:

Post a Comment